The East High School Alumni Association (EHSAA) is the oldest functioning Alumni Association in the Cleveland Metro School District. Having received its charter in 1902, the EHSAA has continued to raise funds and award the Daniel W. Lothman Scholarship to deserving graduates each year during commencement ceremonies. (Daniel Lothman was a principal at East for 21 years.) We’ve also been able to provide additional financial assistance, post entry into college on occasion.
In 2015, the Association changed the name of the scholarship, re-naming it The East High School Alumni Association Scholarship Award.
With the “100 Years Celebration” in 2001, which was widespread in the media, the EHSAA was revitalized, and membership & fund raising efforts increased greatly. The EHS Alumni Association is stronger than ever, and we are fully intent upon “Leaving No One Behind”!
High profile Blue Bombers include: notorious international entertainer and philanthropist Bob Hope, author Chester Himes, author Harlan Ellison, Actor James Pickens, Jr. (most noted for his his role as the Chief on Grey’s Anatomy), and international stage star Altrinna Grayson, spotlight singer with the late Bobby Womack.
The “Old” East High School
1901 – 1975
The “Old East High” School opened its doors to the first class of Blue Bombers in 1901 from the structure which was then located at the corner of East 82nd and Decker Avenue. The school as well as the sports teams made some very notable headlines in their achievements.
The “New” East High School
The “New East High” School was built in 1975, and that structure remains to date. Many noteworthy achievements have been made during the new era as well. The school received a new gym in a dedication ceremony in 2003 due to a collapsed roof a few years earlier. The event was very well attended, by school board members, Councilwoman Fannie Lewis, Alumni Association President Robert Canady and Executive Board Chair Rhonda Young-Hurt, as well as many alumni, parents and friends.
The Cleveland Metropolitan School District relocated from it’s offices on East 6th Street in downtown, Cleveland and several departments of the CMSD are now operating from the former East High School building.